Tuesday, October 10, 2006

How and when to expain things to a child?

ok most people I know would know that Owen was born with a severe case of hypospaidies (which is basically a malformation of the penis - it means the hole isn't at the end but on the underside - his was almost at the base of his penis). Owen had his first op a week b4 he turned one followed by emergency surgery in the early hours of the morning due to complications....he then had another one about 6 months later and then a further one another 6 months or so again. We have always known that he would need more down the track to make it look 'normal' so I don't know why suddenly it would seem a problem! But you see with Owen's speech and language delays I've never really had to explain it to him. Today he is going to see the surgeon and I told him the dr wants to look at his penis and explained that he might need to have another operation on it but he doesn't understand why - he tells me it works that it isn't broken....how to explain to a nearly 5yr old that his penis doesn't look 'normal' when he hasn't worked that out for himself yet?! So I guess we wait and see - chances are that Paddy (surgeon) will say see you in another year...but then he has in the past said 'how about tuesday?' (in which case I would have to say please NO wait til next month)!....wait and see...wait and see...


in the mean time I leave you with one last observation....


Three boys under 5yrs old are LOUD!.....wonder if i can pick up some earplugs

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have no idea how to explain it to him... but wish you all the best... oh, and of course would say the gentle truth is a good way to go.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home